The Zorka Šabac chemical industry was founded in 1938, and through a phased development of a holding and the construction of a mineral fertilizer plant, it came to represent one of the most respectable producers of mineral fertilizers with a phosphorus component on the territory of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
History of Elixir Zorka1938
By a decree of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia from 1938, Zorka a.d. was moved from Subotica to Šabac. The characteristic of the newly-built capacities was to expand the range of chemical products, with an emphasis on the production of basic inorganic chemicals. Especially significant were the capacities of sulfuric acid and blue stone at Zorka a.d. Šabac, which was the largest in the Balkans at that time. The further growth of the company took place in stages from 1954 until 1980.
Start of designing new plants1967
The start of designing new plants for phosphor, sulfur and the production of complex fertilizers. The project included the construction of a 61,000-ton storage capacity for finished and semi-finished products and 67,000 tons of storage for raw materials, sanitary facilities for 400 workers, roads and infrastructure.
New plants put into operation1969
New plant for the production of mineral fertilizers put into operation. Capacities for sulfuric acid production: 150,000 tons of monohydrate and 50,000 tons of phosphoric acid, secured the production of 250,000 tons of complex fertilizer with an average active substance concentration of 44%.
The Golden Age of Zorka ad1970
The Golden Age of Zorka ad, when the factory was one of the most respectable producers of mineral fertilizers on the territory of the SFRY with an annual production of 400,000 tons of complex mineral fertilizers.
The beginning of the downfall for the giant from Šabac1990
The beginning of the downfall for the giant from Šabac. Due to the war and sanctions there is a decline in production due to the impossibility of purchasing raw materials. Due to lack of funds, there was no plant overhaul which led to further deterioration and finally the production of mineral fertilizers had to be shut down.
The “Zorka – Mineralna đubriva” factory up for sale by tender2006
The sale of the “Zorka – Mineralna đubriva“ factory by tender as part of the “Zorka Holding“ company. Due to the company’s large indebtedness, both attempts were unsuccessful. In order to start production and save jobs, without initiating bankruptcy proceedings, the company “Zorka – Mineralna đubriva” and the Agency for Privatization adopted a restructuring program according to which the factory was sold through the sale of assets, not capital. Even so, two sales were unsuccessful.
Elixir Group privatizes “Zorka – Mineralna đubriva”2011
In 2011, Elixir Group privatized “Zorka – Mineralna đubriva” and with a 38-million-euro investment, built a completely new factory called Elixir Zorka on the site of the former devastated facilities.
Start of the newly-built Elixir Zorka plant2013
Start of operations for the newly-built Elixir Zorka plants as part of Elixir Group’s greenfield investments worth 50 million euros. In the first half of the year alone, 100,000 tons of complex mineral fertilizers were produced. More than 60% of products were exported to Southeast European countries. The total production capacity is projected at 300,000 tons per year.